Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day to some GREAT men

Today I want to say Happy Father's Day to some incredible men in my life.


To my dad, Delbert Morgan, thank you for being who you are, thank you for all that you do, and thank you for helping me to become anything positive I might have become. You came into my life when I was 5 years old, filling the difficult role of "step" dad, but loving me just the same as your own. What an incredible man you truly are. I honor you, respect you and appreciate you more each passing day!


To my deceased father, Harvey Cheek. I did not get a chance to know you much, but thank you for investing in me, thank you for your selfless sacrifice of love to adopt a child and give him a loving, caring and Pentecostal home. You gave me the Cheek name (which I proudly carry!) and the wonderful Cheek family, who I love and appreciate dearly.


To my biological father, Mr. Bill Wilson. Life and it's curving, twisting and winding road, allowed us to re-unite after so many passed years. Getting to know you, visit with you, and your allowing me to be a part of your life has been a remarkable experience and one I am anxious to continue. Thank you for your selflessness.


My spiritual fathers:


To my first Pastor, Rev. E.G. Bass, thank you for being my parents Pastor, and for your kindness throughout the years. My first taste of Pentecost came under the front row bench at 606 N. Denver as I dodged hair pins and shouting heels in Sunday night services. Thank you for your leadership.


To the late Rev. Carl Ecker, my Pastor for 16 years, it was at 4348 N Lewis that I received the Holy Ghost, was baptized in Jesus name and where a call of God was acknowledged on my young life. Thank you for allowing me to become and grow in your church. Brother Ecker's zeal for life and church lives on still today.


To Pastor Gary L. Howard, a GREAT man of God, my Pastor and mentor of 15 years. It was under your leadership that I had a chance to grow up. Thank you for believing in me, thank you for investing in me, thank you for the time you spent, the tears you shed, and the talks you gave to help make me anything good I am today. Your steady hand of leadership in my life was literally a spiritual and physical life saver. Thank you.


To other great men in my life:


To Rev. Max Bass: a friend, a mentor, a counselor, an ear. Thank you for all that you are and for all that you do. As an assistant pastor in Tulsa 14 years ago, you forever touched and impacted my life in ways that still carry on to this day. Truly a man with a backbone "like a saw log" yet as gentle and compassionate of a man as there is, thank you for everything you are and everything you do.


To my uncle, Rev. Johnny Cheek: You truly are the spiritual anchor of the entire Cheek family. Your steady example of leadership and steadfastness is a trait I admire and desire in my own life. Thank you for the example you provide.


To my friend Rev. Tim Pixler, truly a man with a genuine servants heart and one of the finest christian men you will ever know. Thank you for your example, friendship, and the challenge your life's example is to me.


To my friend Rev. Lance Meyers, a man who has lived more in 48 years than some men will in a lifetime. God, without question, brought you into my life and orchestrated our friendship. I admire you, appreciate you and respect you highly.


To my business colleague Mr. Bruce Smith, you have taught me so much over the last 3 1/2 years. I don't know where I would be without your incredible insight, uncanny wisdom, humor, candor and friendship. Thank you so much Mr. B!


I could go on and on, as God as allowed so many great men who I count as mentors, friends and family to come into my life throughout the years. 


Today, I thank you for your investment in me, I honor you for what you are, and pray I can become like you in some small way.


God bless you and thank you for reading today!



No comments:

Post a Comment