Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Reason We Choose to Home School – Part 1


I was in a conversation a while back regarding the merits, positives and negatives of sending your children to public schools, private schools or home schooling them. This conversation and a series of conversations along these lines prompted this post.

I have long heard Christians say they were putting their children in public schools as an opportunity to prepare their children for the "real" world as well as an outstanding opportunity to be a witness for Jesus Christ. I once had an Elder that I deeply respect; chastise me for home schooling our children, telling me that putting them in public schools was a highly effective way to evangelize our community. Another equally respected Elder felt compelled to inform me that there was no way that home schooling was as effective as placing our children in a preferred Christian school.

However, the deeper we researched, and the more we studied and prayerfully considered this important decision, the more convinced we became that the Bible clearly instructs us as Christians to "train up our children in the way they should go". The raising and training of our children is first and foremost a parent's responsibility. Not a school teacher, not a Sunday school teacher, not a Pastor, not a deacon, but a Godly parent is called by God to raise and instruct their children in the ways of God.

There are many Christians, who I deeply love and respect that make different decisions on the education and upbringing of their children. I have listened to their views throughout the years, but when I look at God's clear admonitions of how we are to raise our children, I simply cannot justify a public school education in today's immoral environment. Yet in my finite understand of the ways of God, I do not want to judge my brother for making this decision, but do sense the need to raise an objection and present some of the reason why we have chosen home schooling.

Old Testament Israelites were commanded by God to reach their children when they rose up, as they were walking, and as they were lying down (Deut. 6). God also wanted a separation between his children and the world, so he warned against intermarriages which might cause His children to worship foreign and false gods.

In the New Testament, God continues to warn against this sort of mixing with the world, using Lot as an illustration of what happens to a family when they get too close to an unbelieving culture. The Apostle Peter writes, "And [God] delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)" (2nd Peter 2:7-8).

Lot was not doing what they did, but just seeing their deeds and hearing their talk on a daily basis was enough to wear him down spiritually. Though I am sure there are a few Christian young people who can maintain their spiritual edge while attending public school, the Scripture is clear that these daily influences are not good for the soul.

To be continued when more time allots…..

Some books I recommend reading:

Friendly Dragons and Moral Nightmares – Michael O'Brien

The Heart of Home Schooling – Elisabeth Elliot

Home Schooling, the Right Choice – Christopher Klicka

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I look forward to more on this topic.

    Heidi Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kindness! Will be posting more on this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I am an apostolic mom that is in the "valley of decision" over the benefits of home schooling my son. We haven't made up our minds 100% yet but we are leaning more toward homeschool vs. public school. What curriculum do you use? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments. I will be posting some other articles on this subject soon.

    As to our curriculum, we use the Abeka program and supplement it with "Math You See".

    I encourage you to home-school if God leads you that way. You will not regret it!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete